[It’s summertime, and when it’s summertime, sometimes you just really want a burger and fries. This burger is a little fancier than the typical black bean burger that you would buy at a grocery store, and is complemented perfectly by Garlic Cilantro Fries.]
Deluxe Black Bean Burgers
- 2 15-oz cans of no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (I used Sriracha which is super spicy, so I used a little less than a teaspoon.)
- 1 teaspoon of fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons of whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 tablespoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of freshly cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoons of olive oil
- Put the beans in a large bowl. Using a potato masher or your hands (I highly recommend using you hands. Not because it works any better, but because it’s really fun,) mash the beans. Add the shallots, red pepper, paprika, Worcestershire, hot sauce, cilantro, egg, flour, salt, and pepper. Mix well with a spoon.
- Form into 4 equally sized patties.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Sear the burgers for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Remove the patties and place them on a paper-towel lined platter or plate.
- Place on whole-wheat hamburger buns. Top with Swiss cheese, spinach, red onion, and ketchup (or whatever toppings you want.)
- Serve and enjoy! <3