[Cooking for my entire family is always a difficult ordeal. We all have difference dietary restrictions and incorporating all of them is a challenge. When planning my Mother’s Day meal, I decided that since I’m the only one who doesn’t eat meat, I would make jerk chicken for them. This left me with a need to find something that would serve as a main dish for me. I had been wanting to try this recipe for quite a while, and the flavors seemed to go perfectly with the rest of my dishes. The finished dished tastes quite a bit like tabbouleh that you can get in Mediterranean restaurants (which I love.) I will also add that my mom, who has never liked quinoa, LOVED this salad.]
Quinoa Salad with Citrus Dressing
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 6 tablespoons of olive oil
- Juice of 2 limes
- Juice of 1 large orange
- 2 fresh green chiles, seeded and finely chopped (I used fresno peppers so that the spice would be more mild, but jalapenos would be awesome here.)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 cucumber, peeled
- 1 large tomato, seeded and cubed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mind
- Put the quinoa in a strained and rinse it thoroughly with cold water. Pour the quinoa into a large pan and add enough water so that all of the quinoa is just covered. Bring this to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes, until tender. Remove from heat and leave it to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil and the citrus juices. Stir in the chiles and the garlic and season with salt.
- Cut the cucumber in half length-wise and, using a spoon, scoop out and discard the seeds. Cut into 1/4-inch slices and add them to the cooled quinoa. Add the tomato and mint and toss well to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss again until well mixed.
- Serve and enjoy. <3