[Yesterday was a very rare rainy day here in Boulder, so whipping up a pot of soup was practically required. This soup is ridiculously easy and absolutely scrumptious!]
Quick and Easy Black Bean and Beer Soup
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large or 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder (if you aren’t a big fan of spice, decrease the amount of chili powder a little bit.)
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1 chipotle in adobo, seeded and very finely chopped
- 3 cups vegetable stock (preferably low-sodium)
- 1 cup of beer (I used Bud Light, but the kind you use is completely up to you.)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (freshly squeezed is best here.)
- Sour cream
- Cilantro for garnish
- Put the oil in a large, deep pot over medium heat. When hot, add the onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder, and cumin and cook for another minute.
- Add the chipotle, beans, stock, beer, and some salt and pepper.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and bring the soup to a boil. Then, lower the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the lime juice and stir.
- Serve warm, topped with sour cream and fresh cilantro.
- Enjoy! <3