Hot Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting
[My wonderful friend Drina sent me this recipe, and I couldn’t wait to try it out. I am blown away by how much they really do taste like hot chocolate. Absolutely delicious. I decorated them with a little bit of sweetened cocoa powder on top, and mini marshmallows on some of them.]
Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup sweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup buttermilk (if you don’t have any buttermilk, mix 3/4 cup room temperature milk with 3/4 teaspoon white vinegar)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two muffin tins with cupcake liners. Lightly spray the inside of each liner with cooking spray.
- Sift the cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon together.
- Add the eggs, water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla - mix until smooth.
- Fill each liner 2/3 of the way full with batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool for 5 minutes in the tins, then remove them and let them cool completely.
- 1 lb. (yes, pound) butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 16-ounce container marshmallow cream (if all you can find is 13-ounce containers, just use one of those. The 3 ounces won’t make a difference.)
- Cream together the butter and the sugar using an electric mixer.
- Add the vanilla and marshmallow cream, and beat until completely smooth.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes.
- Enjoy. <3