[I’ll be real honest with you: I have no idea what makes this Paraguayan. I just know that I found this recipe and it sounded amazing and I had to make it.]
Paraguayan Corn Bread
- 6 tablespoons of butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 2/3 cups of milk
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 large eggs, separated
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven the 400 degrees. Using 1 tablespoon of the butter, grease a loaf pan.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large pan over low heat. Fry the onions in the butter for about 5 minutes, until they’re softened.
- Pour in the milk and stir until it’s heated, but don’t let it boil. Still stirring, add the cornmeal in a steady stream. Continue to stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese and the remaining butter. When both have melt, season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl until they hold their shape. Stir the egg yolks into the cornmeal mixture, then gently fold in the egg whites.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pan (if the mixture fills almost the entire pan, don’t worry about it. The bread won’t rise too much.)
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the middle of the bread comes out clean.
- Place the bread on a wire rack and allow it to cool a little bit.
- Cut into slices and serve warm.
- Enjoy! <3